The usual cocktail of an unhealthy lifestyle – diet - posture can lead to
trouble. Bad posture can make gravity work more on us which is
particularly bad for us women. There’s one way to lessen its effect:
Wear a bra to bed
. And trust me; it’s not all that difficult even if you’ve
ever done so in the past. So here’s the how-to:
- Wear the oldest possible bra in your lingerie drawer, because that bra
will be comfortably supportive without digging into you.
- Don’t wear a bra that’s smaller; it will cause discomfort and de-shaping
of your breasts.
- If all you have is well fitting bras in your drawer, then choose a soft
underwired bra, take off the wires by slitting open the stitches that hold the
wires in, and you have a sleep bra, voila!
But let this not be a balcony bra or a half cup bra please.
- If you’ve recently changed sizes here’s how you buy a sleep bra. It’s on
the larger size, but not really so loose that you’ll swim in it – when you try it
on standing. Wash it well, soak in a fabric softener and it’s good to sleep in.
- Lastly, and most important, I guarantee that if you can coax yourself
into wearing a sleep bra at night for 30 days, you will never ever want
be in bed without it. Trust me again; I’ve been there and done that, and
seen so many benefit from this simple practice.
Why you need to wear a bra to bed
While we sleep, gravity pushes our breasts to almost hanging on either
side of us; gravity further hits them when we turn on our sides.
- We wear bras standing, don’t we? Let’s keep wearing them lying down
- Our breasts don’t have muscle that can be toned; all they have is tissue
and fat; and if fat starts falling, then well, there’s nothing stopping it.
- And just in case you still don’t want to sleep in bras there is a way out
of that too: working out the pectoral muscles – those that support our
breasts – at least two hours a week. These can include the Bhujangasana /
Cobra Pose, Dhanurasana / Bow Pose and a few such postures.
P.S Marilyn Monroe always wore a bra to bed.
Swati Gautam is the founder of Necessity-SwatiGautam, a
customised brand of brassieres. necessityswatigautam@